1Darest thou now, O Soul,Walk out with me toward the Unknown Region,Where neither ground is for the feet, nor any path to follow?2No map, there, nor guide,Nor voice sounding, nor touch of human hand,Nor face with blooming flesh, nor lips, nor eyes, are in that land.3I know it not, O Soul;Nor dost thou--all is a blank before us;All waits, undream'd of, in that region--that inaccessible land.4Till, when the ties loosen,All but the ties eternal, Time and Space,Nor darkness, gravitation, sense, nor any bounds, bound us.5Then we burst forth--we float,In Time and Space, O Soul--prepared for them;Equal, equipt at last--(O joy! O fruit of all!) them to fulfil, OSoul.—Walt Whitman
The first time I read Walt Whitman’s poems, my response was,
“Well, he’s not bad. He’s better than a lot of the others I’ve read, but I
don’t think he’s all that special.” Then I read his work again. That time my
response was, “Oh holy crap, I think I love this guy!!” This poem is one of my
favorites. The form is really simply and straightforward, but the subject
matter is really deep and profound. It one reminds me of Dickinson’s poems
about death, because of the simple and unquestioned existence of a soul. This
one is different though, because Whitman doesn’t have Dickinson’s creepily
immediate access to the soul; where Whitman talks to his soul like it’s a
separate entity, Dickinson simply is hers.
But I didn’t really want to get into Dickinson today; I’ll
get back to her later. This poem is my subject at present, and I really, really
like it. I think most of what draws me is the way Whitman writes it. Yes, like
I said, the style is simplistic and easy to understand, and that definitely
helps. But I also find myself drawn to the picture he paints, to the images in
the poem. I’ve read it several times, and each time I’ve read it as describing
the experience of a person after death. And I’m actually having a revelation as
I type, and since I find that process so fascinating, I want to share. While I
was starting to write how this poem is about death, I suddenly realized that
nowhere does Whitman say anything explicitly about death. That was just my
instinctive interpretation of what he meant.
I just noticed myself interpreting a poem. That’s kind of
neat.
Anyway, despite my current revelation, I’m still pretty
convinced that the poem is dealing with death. At the risk of sounding new
age-y, it makes me imagine a person who has died and is on some sort of journey
that will ultimately end with zem rejoining some sort of vital energy flow. My
interpretation is probably affected by my own personal beliefs. I do think that
something happens to us after we die, although what exactly that is, I don’t
think anyone can know for certain; after all, nobody can fully die and then
live to tell about it. But when I look at this poem, I see some sort of
after-death journey. Whitman’s narrator asks his soul to go with him to this
unknown place, with no path or guide, and no more interaction with
flesh-and-blood humans, and then all bonds fall away except time and space. That
sounds to me as if this soul is either rejoining some kind of life-force, or
else preparing to rejoin life itself (i.e. reincarnation).
Looking back over the poem again, however, in light of my
mini-epiphany, I also think it could be about creativity. The narrator and his
soul are about to go on a journey into this unknown land with no path to follow
and nobody to guide them; everything is a blank and waits undreamed of; then
all ties loosen but the immediate ones of time and space, and he suddenly says
he’s prepared to fulfill “them,” whoever them is. If “them” were to mean the
consumers of whatever work of art he were to create, dude, that sure sounds
like the creative process to me. And I think that’s pretty amazing, that I can
read this poem as a thoughtful observation about death or a thoughtful observation
about the creative process. Both, I think, are destructive and creative in
their own ways. It just depends on which way I choose to look at the poem.
What does Whitman actually mean by this poem? I don’t think
I really care. I’m kind of happy with my own interpretations.
No comments:
Post a Comment